DTA helps organizations with healthcare data governance by guiding them with strategies and mechanisms that will build a data-driven culture that has accurate, consistent, and trusted information.
Healthcare Data Governance
Assessment and Roadmap
DTA has experience in recommending enterprise healthcare data governance structures and methodologies that don’t just sit on a shelf. In order to ensure your key organizational data is accurate, consistent, and useful for decision-making, meeting as a governance committee and documenting standards isn’t enough–these decisions must be hard-wired into your data infrastructure. We can assess your current data governance maturity and help you develop a roadmap that includes:
- Committees, teams, and roles
- Responsibilities and tasks for all stakeholders
- Prioritization processes for requests (large and small)
- Supporting tools and methods
Contact us for more information on how to make your data a trusted asset to your organization.
Enterprise Metric Standardization and Centralization
Do you have metrics being defined in multiple ways in your organization, causing confusion over which definition is used where, and how many reports and dashboards need to be updated when a metric definition changes? If so you are in good company. DTA has helped organizations create a standard enterprise metric repository and process that provides a consistent approach for defining and maintaining key metrics. There are many benefits to having a central, standardized metric repository, including:
- The ability to re-use and share metrics across multiple dashboards and reports, and if a metric is changed once it is changed everywhere
- The ability to define and display goals and benchmarks associated with metrics, and not just current goal values but historical values as well
- Separation of the complex metric business logic from the presentation layer: the metric contains the business logic, saved at the data layer, and the reports/dashboards handle the presentation
- Increased transparency – define metric calculation logic, business owners, etc. in the metric repository and display in the metadata tool and even on reports and dashboards themselves
We can help you do all of the above and more to eliminate confusion about how a metric is defined and who owns the metric. If you want a jump start, we have developed an application called SMaRt (the Standard Measure Repository) that we can implement that allows you to define your metrics in one place, and then your reports and dashboards can all pull from the same place to ensure what shows up in those various business intelligence tools is consistent. Even better, the business logic for each measure isn’t hidden deep in the underlying code of a report somewhere, it is available for everyone to see. Contact us today for a demo!
Flexible Metadata Tool
DTA has developed a metadata tool application that can help organizations track information about all of their reports, dashboards, metrics, data warehouse objects, and so on in a searchable repository to be used by technical staff and end-users alike. The tool is highly customizable, and can be populated through a mix of automated and manual processes. Not just another data dictionary, the key features of the Business Intelligence Catalog (BIC) include:
- Searchable, easy-to-use web-based front end: search all the different types of objects at once, or narrow the focus through advanced search capabilities
- Application extension without the need for a web developer: admin users can add and configure any number of object types (like a report or dashboard) on which to track metadata
- Flexible categorization: Admin users can create custom hierarchies so, for instance, a report about surgical volumes could be organized in the “All Reports” tree and also roll up into the “Surgery” subject area
- End-user input for more complete metadata: End users can add notes and even update object descriptions (if enabled)
- A Crystal Reports/Business Objects connector: Included is an automated Crystal Report inventory and documentation engine that updates the list of reports from the enterprise server, gathers key information like the last time the report was run, the number of instances that exist, etc., and then parses each report to get the SQL and the individual tables and columns the SQL references (even from command objects!)
The BIC tool is an affordable alternative to the overpriced metadata management options on the market. Contact us today for a demo!
Interested in exploring data governance for your organization or department? Please fill in your contact information for more details on our patient experience consulting services.