Data governance in health care transforms your data from numbers in a virtual vault, to actionable, useful, streamlined information. Our data governance services provide you with the recommended teams, tools, and processes to develop a foundation of trusted, consistent data. This is the crucial first step toward transparency, operating as a data-driven organization, and ultimately improving performance.
Healthcare Data Governance
The Data Roadmap
In order to ensure your key organizational data is accurate, consistent, and useful for decision-making, meeting as a governance committee and documenting standards isn’t enough – these decisions must be hard-wired into your healthcare data warehouse infrastructure. We’ll first assess your current data governance maturity and develop a roadmap that includes:
- Defined committees, teams, and roles
- Specific responsibilities and tasks for all stakeholders
- Clear prioritization processes for requests (large and small)
- Governance around supporting technology and methods
Enterprise Metric Standardization and Centralization
Do you have metrics being defined in multiple ways in your organization, causing confusion over which definition is used where, and how many reports and dashboards need to be updated when a metric definition changes? If so, you’re in good company. Data governance in healthcare often develops in a reactionary way. DTA Associates can help you create a standard enterprise metric repository and proactive processes that create consistency for defining and maintaining key metrics. There are many benefits to having a central, standardized metric repository including:
- The ability to re-use and share metrics across multiple dashboards and reports; if a metric is changed, it is changed everywhere
- The ability to define and display goals and benchmarks associated with metrics – both current goal values and historical values
- Separation of the complex metric business logic from the presentation layer: the metric contains the business logic, saved at the data layer, and the reports/dashboards handle the presentation
- Increased transparency – define metric calculation logic, business owners, etc. in the metric repository and display in the metadata tool and even on reports and dashboards themselves
We can help you do all of the above and more to eliminate confusion about how a metric is defined and who owns the metric. If you want a jump start, we have developed an application called SMaRt (the Standard Measure Repository) that we can implement that allows you to define your metrics in one place. Your reports and dashboards can all pull from the same place to ensure that what shows up in those various business intelligence tools is consistent. Even better, the business logic for each measure isn’t hidden deep in the underlying code of a report, it is available for everyone to see. Contact us today for a demo!
Flexible Metadata Tool
DTA has developed a metadata tool app that can help organizations track information about all of their reports, dashboards, healthcare metrics, data warehouse objects, etc. in a searchable repository to be used by technical staff and end-users alike. The tool is highly customizable, and can be populated through a mix of automated and manual processes. Find out more about this app, then ask us about a no-obligation demo.
Interested in exploring data governance for your organization or department? Please fill in your contact information for more details on our patient experience consulting services.